Sunday, August 19, 2007

Transit, First Impressions

My flight to Taipei, Taiwan was scheduled to leave at 620 PM from San Francisco International. Leaving Sacramento at 1 Pm was more than adequate. Guess not. Incredible congestion flooded Highway 80 West from Berkeley all the way to the airport. Felt like India and I hadn't even stepped in an airport. Long story short, my folks and I parked the car in a split second decision and took the BART into SFO arriving at 540 PM. Sure that I would miss the plane, I sprinted into the airport so that, if nothing else, at least I would cause a scene of such proportions justifying the drive over. Incredibly, the EVA Airlines counter was still open and I was the last passenger through. Hell of a way to start a trip around the world.

I got on EVA airlines and got the window seat next to an elderly Taiwainese (I'm assuming) couple. For the next 12 hours, I thought of them in my mind as Airplane Granpa and Gramma. They nudged me awake during mealtimes and somehow we coordinated the trips to the airplane lavatory.The guy seated RIGHT behind me was carrying aUCSD book bag, you know one of those flimsy-looking yet sturdy yellow plastic ones. I knew then that this part of the trip was going to be OK. Got some sleep and watched a few movies on a tiny screen. Most of the crowd looked to be Chinese although there was a good group of Indians on board too. Families and couples mostly though I noticed a few other single brown travelers.

Arrived in Taipei and made myself at home in the airport. Looks like a beautiful little island and it's too bad it was nighttime because it seemed to be a pretty place. Got on the next flight, which was almost all Indian, with a spattering of fellow Asian travelers. 6 hour trip inbetween two single Indian dudes, made conversation with one, a nice, quiet IT guy out of LA who comes to India to visit Goa almost every year. When we got off the plane he was a really big help as he directed me through immigration. He let me borrow his red pen, which I found out was unacceptable to the Indian beauracracy, after standing in line for immigration. The last I saw of him he was getting his bag searched by customs - I still have his red pen. I really hope everything works out for him, he was my first guide through the first moments in India. I don't think I'll ever forget him. Customs was fine for me - I guess they didn't care about the almonds.

My first impression of Mumbai was muggy, hot, vibrant and beautiful. Granted, I arrived at 4 AM and my uncle was standing right outside when I got out, but the city was still there. The streets on the hour ride home were mostly deserted - our driver didn't stay in his lane at all and nobody else did either but I figured that had little to do with the time of day or lack of traffic. The city was dark and I struggled to make outlines of buildings, shop names and streets.

I'm resting comfortably after seeing my uncle, aunt, grandfather and family dog (Scooby, who I call Scoobs). More about Navy Nagar and sunrise in Mumbai later.


Closing thought:

EVA airlines wasn't too bad, and it was pretty good for the price. Just be prepared to hear a LOT of Chinese. I'm good for a few weeks.

No comments: