Thursday, August 23, 2007

Time Lost

I arrived in Pune two nights ago. The trip from Mumbai was nothing short of spectacular. As we chugged out of the station we passed the most downtrodden, dirty ghetto slums, living in the shadow of skyscraper residential areas. Once we got out of the city and its suburbs, there was nothing but incredibly lush, green scenery. The view was like something out of an Eastern fantasy. White waterfalls gushed down misty green mountains and lone men and women tended to rice paddies as we chugged past. Really beautiful.

My uncle was waiting right outside our car as my grandfather and I disembarked. He somewhat resembles my father in appearance, and quite a lot in mannerisms, way of speaking. I enjoy his company although he is fond of giving me a hard time. I take it as affectionate ribbing and I think that's the intention.

Once we arrived at their flat in Pune, I was able to meet my cousins for the first time in about ten years. Both are in their very early twenties, and 4 years apart. Easygoing and pretty warm guys, they both were really welcoming and I am beyond glad to have them around. The youngest of my two cousins here has been kind enough to take me around a bit in Pune. This city, from what I have gathered, is considered the cultural capital of Maharastra as well as a booming IT city. At one time a sleepy road in a 'pensioners paradise', the road that my uncle's flat lies on is now surrounded by the shiny buildings and lights of nearby IT skyscrapers. The road is noisy and constantly packed with three-wheeled rickshaws, some cars and, most of all - two wheel motorcycles. My cousins told me that Pune has the most motorcycles per capita in the entire world. I believe it.

Yesterday morning my cousin took me out on his motorcycle, which looks to be a small version of an American streetbike. A 150 cc engine weaved us through traffic to the base of a hill. We hiked to the top of this beautiful little mountain, passing mandirs and people taking their morning walks. Once we reached the peak we were rewarded by an incredible view of the city. It's expanse is huge. Houses and residential buildings pop out of the lush landscape. I really enjoyed the view and it was a great introduction to this city. Yesterday evening I went to shoot pool with my cousin and one of his friends. The pool hall was a chill atmosphere, it reminded me of Sharky's back home and what me and the crew used to do last year. Good times.

Most of the rest of the day was devoted to family. I did go to a local bank with my cousin to cash a traveler's check and was a bit surprised at the service there. For such a professional, modern bank, it took a longer time than I imagined to get some Indian currency. My signature on the checks also proved to be somewhat of a problem. Damn handwriting.

Looking through photo albums and playing scrabble with my cousins and my grandfather yesterday I have realized how much I have really missed in terms of spending time with family. The photos, from my grandfather as a young man, to my father at my age in America in the 70s to my cousins as kids were all markers of a time gone by. It made me a little remorse to see a lot of photos that I could have been a part of myself, but I know thats the price as first generation kids living in America, and that its okay.

Closing thought: Call your grandma or e-mail your cousin or your poke your brother on facebook today, if you can, if you are so lucky to have the resources and the time left. Life's too short.

No comments: